Classes begin this week in Casa Grande, which means hundreds of students will be walking, biking and driving to and from school in the community. The Casa Grande Police Department reminds everyone to obey all traffic signs in school zones. Below are a few safety tips for drivers and pedestrians.
Reminder for DRIVERS:
- Slow down and be especially alert in the residential neighborhoods and school zones
- Take extra time to look for kids at intersections, on medians and on curbs
- Enter and exit driveways and alleys slowly and carefully
- Watch for children on and near the road in the morning and after school hours
- Reduce any distractions inside your car so you can concentrate on the road and your surroundings. Put down your phone and don’t talk or text while driving.
- Children should cross the street with an adult until they are at least 10 years old
- Cross street at corners, using traffic signals and crosswalks
- Never run out into the streets or cross in between parked cars
- Make sure they always walk in front of the bus where the driver can see them
- Never accept a ride from a stranger
- If a stranger approaches you, go the other way and find a trusted adult to tell
- Don’t take shortcuts or walk/ride in unfamiliar areas
Accepting Vendor Applications for Viva Grande
The City of Casa Grande is accepting vendor applications for the second annual Viva Grande. Viva Grande celebrates the Hispanic culture of Casa Grande with festivities including live entertainment, a salsa challenge, paint party, a kids zone with piñata busting, a Chihuahua fashion show, lucha libre and much more. The event will be held on Saturday, September 27 from 5:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. at Paul Mason Sportsplex, 2525 N. Pinal Avenue.
Registration deadline to participate in the Salsa Challenge, Paint Party, Jalapeno Eating Contest and have your pet participate in the Ay Chihuahua Fashion Show is Monday, August 18.
If you would like provide food concessions, promote your business, sell merchandise, or if your non-profit group is interested in volunteering at the event, please contact event coordinator Erica Perez at firstname.lastname@example.org or (520) 421-8760. Please note that vendor spaces are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Sponsorships are still available, which receive category exclusivity.
For more information about Viva Grande, visit the Community Services Department page.